Home of Champions
Confidently written across the archway that marks your entry into the hilly town of Iten is: Welcome to Iten - Home of Champions. Few towns have a motto as true as this one.
"There are 17 American men in history who have run under 2:10 in the marathon, there were 32 Kalenjin who did it in October of 2011." - David Epstein
I shot this story about the running town of Iten, Kenya for Running Times Magazine and you can view the pictures from that here.
Visiting Iten was life changing for me. It was by far the most inspiring and amazing place I have ever been to and I can't recommend a trip there enough. If you are a fan of the sport then a trip to Iten is like a holy pilgrimage to a sacred place. It should be done at least once in your life.
Below I will list some outside resources for learning more about running in Iten:
- Lornah Kiplagat's High Altitude Training Center (HATC)
- The fancy Kerio View hotel in Iten
- A film about Kenyan running called Man on a Mission.
- An Article about Kenyan Running in the New York Times from 2012.
- An article about African running from Runners World.
- A story from NPR on what makes Kenyans so fast from 2013.
- An article from the Atlantic Magazine about what makes Kenyans so good from 2012.
- A somewhat scientific discussion of Kenyan athletic diets.
- A film about Kenyan Running